The basic job of a Sunday School / Bible teacher is to show God to the students as a living personality and initiate a relationship with him. Prayer is the very foundational factor in relating with God and it should be taught clearly. Following points about prayer could be considered for teaching.
- Prayer is a god-given desire and provision.
- God listens to prayer and Jesus taught us how to pray.
- Teach children when should we pray. Some examples are – before exam, when worried, during illness, before travel, before food, before beginning anything. But maintaining a discipline of prayer every day such as while getting up from bed and before going to bed.
- Teach children how to pray. Use a simple method to pray by using the fingers.Thumb : Praise Jesus
Forefinger : Thank Jesus
Middle finger : Pray for friends / others
Ring finger : Pray for your family
Small finger : Pray for Myself
- In the class, pray with children by asking them to repeat after you.
- Teach the Lord’s prayer and regularly pray the same with them.
- Teach them to use postures in prayer. (folding hands, closing eyes, kneeling down)