Qualities of a CHRISTIAN teacher
A good Bible Class depends upon a good Bible teacher. Good teachers are not born. They are made.
A good Bible teacher must know:
(i) What to teach – Christ
(ii) How to teach – Skills
(iii) Who they are teaching – Living souls
A good Bible teacher not only must KNOW but he/she must also BE the right person and DO the right thing.
What a Bible Teacher should BE?
- A new person in Christ – Have the experience of Salvation and Assurance
- Dedicated to Christ – Obedient and Ready to take up the divine appointments in ministry
- Spiritually strong – filled with the Holy Spirit – in conscience, will and word.
- Discerning and Listening – to the real needs of heart, and the influencing factors on soul.
- Loving – to heal the scars of life
- Patient and tactful – to teach and maintain the spiritual discipline
- Prayerful – Asking and trusting the Lord to work alongside
- Dependable – to keep the confidence of the students entrusted to them
- Presentable and friendly – gracious language, relaxed, neat, dignity, optimistic and godly cheer
- Impartial – not to show disparity, maintaining equality and avoid hurt
- Confident – prayerfully prepared and knowledgeable
What a Bible Teacher should KNOW?
- Bible-centred – belief in the Bible as Word of God, knowledge in Bible Scripture and Biblical values.
- The pupils – should know about the characteristics of the age group and their needs.
- How to lead a child to Christ – should know how to lead them to commitment to Christ
- Effective Communication – Understandable language, interesting methods and passion in teaching
- World – view – Current trends in the world around and the ways to teach against bad influences.
What a Bible teacher should DO?
- Maintain Personal relationship with God – Abide in Christ in all things, growing in faith and ministry.
- Be involved in Church – be an active worshipper of God in the local Church and involved in duties.
- Be a student of God’s Word – Regularly reading, meditating, and preparing teaching material.
- Burden for souls – to relate to people, visit, talk about Christ and follow up.
- Keeping the faith – in trials and temptations, witnessing within the walls of home and outside