DISCIPLINE PROBLEM is the main barrier in Communication in Class Room teaching. However, Discipline Problem could be addressed by knowing the root causes. Some are given here.
- IDENTITY CRISIS – Some Children would not concentrate in the class. You can see them giggling, teasing or playing all the time. Some identity seekers do like that to get other’s attention. Call them to sit near you and give a small responsibility, say “hold my Bible till the end of the class,” and give your Bible to him/her. It should solve the issue.
- CONGESTION – The space congestion and cramped seating causes disturbances. Children find it difficult to concentrate and begin to go restless. Finding a suitable place and providing a comfortable seating arrangement will solve this issue.
- VENTILATION – The airtight rooms and suffocating class rooms averts the attention of the children. Providing suitable ventilation for the class rooms will solve it. At the same time, taking them to open-air for sitting and learning will also divert their attention.
- STAGE CHAOS – If your stage handling is poor, you will loose students’ attention. Stage management is very crucial to maintain discipline in the floor. Rather than all the group members standing in front and talking as they like, only one person should lead from the mike and others should support him/her – as practiced earlier. Long and unprepared talks will cause gaps in between and the listeners will loose attention. There should be a plan and continuity in what is said and taught at the stage. A clumsy stage and cluttered background can also divert the attention of the audience. A proper screen should be hung or the black board should be kept clean.
- UNPREPAREDNESS – If the teacher or leader is unprepared or less-prepared it will show in their leading and communication. Thinking and stammering in between, or questioning irrelevantly in between just to manage their gaps, all will expose their unpreparedness to the audience, and they will react and disturb amounting to a discipline problem.
- DRAGGING – The Communication should be crisp and clear. Using many words and long talks to tell a truth drains the mind of the audience. Things said should be short and sweet. Long introductions, unnecessary emotions, untimely advices etc would kill the spirit and children will begin to show in the discipline.
- INSECURE – If the children who are new to your class environment will have a general fear and insecure feelings. Some would be introverts and they will not open up and respond. A teacher should know this psychological aspect in his class. A good introduction or an ice-breaker should be done to help them come out of their shells and connect with the class. Until then the attention capacity will be lesser.
- PROBLEM AT HOME – Some children come from broken families or facing the quarrels of parents, and some who are verbally and physically abused will not be attentive in the class. They may disturb others because of a low esteem and insecure feelings playing within. Without addressing their problem, teaching will not make impact and they would seek attention in different ways. A kind personal touch and a personal talk with them will help them to come out.
- DISEASES – Children who have physical discomforts, suffering a fever, cold or some other ailments in their body will cause discipline problems. Because of their irritation felt in bodies, they show up outwardly in discipline. They should be advised to go home and take rest or be given a comfortable seating, to retain attention.